St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church is seeking a full time Receptionist that will serve visitors by greeting, welcoming and directing them; notifies company personnel of visitors’ arrival; maintains security and telephone system; performs routine administrative and office support services and basic accounts and recordkeeping duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The front desk of a church is often a weekday caller or visitor’s first experience with the church community. The receptionist will, therefore, need to present him/herself with a neat appearance and keep the workspace orderly.
- Accepts all phone calls and walk-ins as a warm and welcoming representative of the church, answering questions, and directing inquiries appropriately.
- Treats every visitor, caller, or service person with courtesy, cheerfulness, and respect.
- Must be able to learn computer software as required by the Parish.
- Prepares Mass Intentions, and records using the Facility Scheduler and Mass Intention register.
- Applies postage to outgoing mail and prepares it for pickup. Updates Accounting Department when additional postage needs to be purchased.
- Keeps copy and fax machines supplied with paper and print cartridges. Distributes associated records.
- Cleans coffee areas in the morning and afternoons. Restocks sugars, creamers, teas, etc. as needed.
- Maintains personal contacts, files, and documents.
- Intakes and processes sick calls for the priest as appropriate.
- Picks up mail.
- Receives, opens, processes and distributes mail. Receives and signs for specially delivered packages.
- Checks mail, e-mail, phone messages, prayer requests, etc., communicating information in a timely manner to appropriate persons.
- Processes welcome letters for new parishioners.
- Receptionist must relate well with a diversity of persons (Clergy, Staff, Church Leaders, Parishioners and Office Visitors).
- Assist with processing and mailing and/or faxing Sacramental Certificates.
- Assist with recording Sacraments in appropriate Sacramental Register.
- Maintains confidentiality in all areas of responsibility as required.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing results as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Three years receptionist or equivalent required.
- Excellent telephone skills and ability to stay calm in stressful situations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel and Outlook; knowledge of Parish Data Systems a plus.
- Solid organization skills and ability to work independently.
- Requires an appreciation and respect for the Catholic Church and its teachings.
- Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church.
- Their public behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the policies of the diocese.
- Ability to read and interpret basic correspondence.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizations skills.
- Must have a pleasant telephone manner and good communication skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- The ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to reach, grasp, feel, and see up close and from afar.
- Must be able to use basic office computer hardware and peripherals, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in written form.