The Faith Formation Administrative Assistant enhances the effectiveness of the parish Faith Formation team by coordinating and providing professional administrative support and clerical services; supports the Director of Faith Formation and parish staff in a variety of ways in providing for the faith formation of youth and adults of the parish.
The Diocese of Orlando four core values lay the foundation for the work performed by employees:
- Authenticity: Conviction that God has called us to reflect exteriorly our inner life of faith in our daily living
- Respect: Affirming each person’s God-given dignity and uniqueness.
- Courage: Inspired by this gift of the Holy Spirit, we proclaim and live the Word of God fearlessly and devotedly.
- Commitment: Individually and collectively, we are steadfast to the team and its purpose.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties and functions, as outlined herein, are intended to be representative of the type of tasks performed within this classification. They are not listed in any order of importance. The omission of specific statements of the duties or functions does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Serves visitors by greeting, welcoming, and directing them.
- Provides receptionist services for the Faith Formation office including the recording of clear and accurate messages, the handling routine questions about policies, events, etc.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics whether by scan, fax, or e-mail.
- Fulfills administrative duties for the Faith Formation team to include preparing and sending correspondence, filing, scheduling, creating, and updating forms, updating bulletin boards, counting and tracking monies that come in from parents, students, and staff; prepares weekly deposit and submits to Finance Office.
- Creates and maintains a variety of permanent records to include rosters, letters, financial records, and registrations; gathers all required information for those preparing for Sacraments such as baptismal certificates.
- Coordinates, sets-up, and assists with administrative needs for meetings, conferences, liturgical celebrations, and other events as needed.
- Prepares reports by collecting information and data.
- Maintains catechist contacts, files, and documents.
- Maintains database of families and students enrolled in programming; completes registrations; updates records for families; prepares reports as needed or requested; updates records with Sacramental Dates; assists in the registration of families for formation programs annually.
- Attends required meetings and gatherings, taking meeting minutes and offers assistance as needed.
- Orders faith formation related office and catechist materials.
- Maintains supplies and resources for faith formation in an organized manner.
- Maintains confidentiality in all areas of responsibility as required.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires an appreciation and respect for the Catholic Church and its teachings. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their public behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the policies of the diocese.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree preferred; minimum of 6 years at the Administrative Assistant level; and/or 3 years as an office supervisor or office manager. Must have experience in technology-based office management and office support.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
- A high level of organizational and interpersonal skill is required.
- Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts such as adding, dividing, and multiplying.
- Ability to read and analyze routine correspondence and compose appropriate responses. Must have excellent command of the English language. Ability to record and compose minutes. Ability to respond to common inquiries from diocesan entities, parishioners, or members of the business community. Confidentiality is essential.
- Requires proven multi-tasking capabilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and time demands.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint; working knowledge of Excel and Outlook.
- Requires excellent writing skills.
- Must possess a heightened sense of confidentiality and a strong sense of respect for and knowledge of the Roman Catholic Church. Must be able to work well with various personalities within the Catholic Church.
The working hours of this position are not limited to an 8-hour day. This person will need to be available in the evening and weekends, as needed. Must be willing to work in conditions of stress and function well under pressure.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation. The ability to sit and stand for long periods of time. Must be able to reach, grasp, feel, and see up close and from afar. Must be able to use basic office computer hardware and peripherals, with or without reasonable accommodation. Must be able to communicate verbally and in written form.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Requirements are representative of the minimum level of knowledge, skills, and ability.