The first feast of the Sacred Heart was celebrated on August 31, 1670 in Rennes, France. This was a few years before Jesus appeared to Margaret Mary Alacoque in the years from 1673 and 1675. In 1856, the feast became universal by Pope Pius IX.
There are 12 promises made to those who honor the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
1. I will give them all the grace necessary for their state in life.
2. I will establish peace in their families.
3. I will comfort them in their trials.
4. I will be their secure refuge during life and above all in death.
5. I will shed abundant blessings and all their undertakings.
6. Sinners will find in my heart an infinite ocean of mercy.
7. Luke warm souls will become fervent.
8. Fervent souls will rapidly grow in holiness and perfection.
9. I will bless every place where an image of my heart shall be exposed and honored.
10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. The names of those who promote this devotion will be written in my heart never to be blotted out.
12. I promise thee, in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that My all powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the first Friday of nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.